A little more yellow food for LiveSTRONG Day 2008 .
I first tried this soup as a child at the home of a Cypriot friend. To my young Australian palate it was one of those food moments you remember forever. A soup with eggs and lemon juice - hmmm - that's different - I like it.
Checking my cookbooks there doesn't seem to be any variation on the ingredients of chicken stock, lemon, rice and eggs. This recipe is from the The Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander.
Avgolemono - Greek egg and lemon soup
1.5 litres well flavoured chicken stock
freshly ground black pepper
100 grams long grain rice
3 large eggs
juice of 2 lemons
Bring stock to simmering point. Adjust seasoning and drop in rice.
Simmer for 15 minutes until rice is cooked.
Beat eggs and lemon juice until frothy.
Add a ladleful of hot stock to egg mixture and continue to whisk.
Remove stock from heat and let cool for 2 - 3 minutes.
Tip egg mixture back into stock, stirring to mix well.
Taste and season.
Serve at once.
Don't forget LiveSTRONG Day entries should be posted by 19th April. The round up will be posted to coincide with LiveSTRONG Day on May 13th.
RULES FOR LIVESTRONG DAY 2008
1. Event is open to all food and wine bloggers. Photo must be taken by the blogger and photos by professional photographers cannot be accepted.
2. Participants make and post any recipe they chose. Recipe must contain an element of yellow food.
3. Entries can be posted at any time from today but must be
forwarded to me by Saturday 19th April. This will give me plenty of
time to complete the round up in time for LiveSTRONG Day. Any entries
received after this date will not be eligible for photo competition.
The write up will be posted on winos and foodies on 13th May 2008 .
Entries must be made specifically for A Taste Of Yellow and cannot be entered into other blog challenges.
4. To be eligible for the photo competition you must include a LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band in your photo. The publishers of photographer Lou Manna have kindly donated a copy of his book Digital Food Photography to go the winner.
5. You may include more than one photo in your post but the first photo in the post will be the only photo considered for judging.
6. Judging will be based on quality of photo, originality and creativity.The judges decision will be final. (Judges have yet to be announced).
Please send your entries to me at atasteofyellowATgmailDOTcom before Saturday 19th April.
1. Your name and where you live.
2. Your blog name and URL.
3. The link to your LiveSTRONG with A Taste Of Yellow entry and the name of the recipe.