There are a variety of recipes for this dish. Some cook the dish in a combination of butter and water, some add cream and a stock cube.I do neither. My recipe is influenced by a recipe in the wonderful Art of Eating by MFK Fisher.
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted to room temperature
- 1 small onion, sliced
- a couple of iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
- a good knob of butter
- salt and pepper
- In a heavy bottamed pan ( I use a Dutch oven) melt half the butter and soften onions without browning.
- Add peas and the remainder of the butter. Stir, turn heat to low, cover pot with lid. Cook until peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, add lettuce, stir and cook briefly.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve. This will serve two as an entre or four as a vegetable side to a main course.