It's the end of pear season here...... although there are still a couple of varieties in the shops. Lydia at Perfect Pantry mentioned her slow cooker poached pears on Twitter this morning. They sounded delicious. So I made them for dessert tonight....and they are delicious.
My version is slightly adapted from Lydia's. As I didn't have any ginger in the cupboard I omitted it. I also reduced the sugar amount and increased the butter.
PEARS IN CARAMEL IN THE SLOW COOKER
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 50g butter, cut into small cubes
- 4 firm pears
- Peel and half pears. Remove cores.
- Place cut side down in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle sugar over pears.
- Add butter to sugar.
- Set cooker to high and cook for 1 hour.Remove lid and spoon the sauce over the pears.
- Cook for a further hour. Test with knife to ensure pears are cooked.
- With slotted spoon remove pears from slow cooker onto serving plate.
- Pour sauce into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and keep at a simmer until sauce reduces by one third. Stir sauce or shake pan to keep the sauce from sticking to saucepan. It will take 2 - 3 minutes, but be careful not to burn the caramel.
- To serve place two pears on individual plates, spoon a little caramel sauce over.
- Serve warm with cream.